Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Steve's Guatamalan Tacos

I am posting first Steve's recipe exactly how he wrote it.  Then at the bottom I am going to write how I make them!

Guatamalan Tacos

Black beans
Water
Cabbage
Cucumber
Tomato
Limes
Onion
Salt
Oil
Corn Tortillas

Okay, I know, I don’t have amounts. That’s mainly due to the fact that the amounts will vary based on how much you want to make. I usually use a whole bag of beans, a head of cabbage 3 to 4 cucumbers, half an onion, 4 or 5 tomatoes, and 3 or 4 limes when I make this for the family. To start, cook the beans in a 2 to 1 ratio of beans to water just like rice. Don’t drain the beans when they are done. In a large skillet/frying pan put a small amount of oil, enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the onion to the oil. This should be cut into strips, but left relatively large. When the onion has started to soften, but before it’s completely done, add the bean/water mixture. Be careful when adding the beans as the oil will be hot. Mash the beans and let them simmer down to a thicker consistency. Add salt to taste. In a separate bowl, combine shredded cabbage, sliced cucumber (I usually quarter the slices as well so that they fit in the tacos better), and diced tomato. Add the juice from the limes, and mix everything well. Prepare the tortillas by frying them in a small amount of oil. Take the tortillas, and put a small amount of beans in the bottom, then top with the salad mixture. If you like, you can top with pico de gallo, or you can also add chicken or beef, but these are great just vegetarian style as well.
 
Now for my little differences...
 
I have my own black bean method that I will include at the bottom.  I never use ANY oil.  I also try to minimize or eliminate the oil when heating the corn tortillas.  My favorite tortillas are Mission white corn tortillas.  I have just heated these on a pan with little or no oil or cooking spray and they taste great.  Then I use cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes and limes, as well as some chopped cilantro.  I put them all in separate bowls.  The lime I put thin slices in a bowl so I can squeeze a little lime juice over the top of my taco.  I do it this way so everyone can take what they want and then if there are left overs they don't get all wilty.  I put a little beans at the bottom then I pile it as high as I can with the vegetables and one squeeze of lime.  I also add a little taco sauce to the top.(my mouth is watering at the thought!)  When I make tacos for jay and the kids (they don't so much like these) I have used a tablespoon or so of meat instead of the beans and that is AWESOME too.)  These are my favorite low fat/calorie meal.  I use a lot less meat and no cheese or sour cream like I would use on a typical taco.  And two corn tortillas are about the same calories as one whole wheat tortilla.  And once they are stuffed with all of the vegetables they really are so flavorful and satisfying.
 
For my black bean method, click here...

No comments:

Post a Comment