Monday, February 22, 2010

Rhubarb Pudding

This is a traditional Jensen family recipe.  I think it is the most amazing stuff ever created.  But, of those who come into the family, there are those who disagree with me wholeheartedly...  Maybe its an acquired taste.  Grandpa seemed to ALWAYS have cream in the house.  I even saw him buy it in the gallon...  I LOVED it.  We use cream on many things at least on special occasions...It makes everything better, even cold cereal!(yes, that IS why I am fat!)  I had the fortunate opportunity to live with them for a year between college and my mission.  I got this recipe directly from my sweet grandma Deon during that time.  I wrote what she told me while I watched her and grandpa make it.  This recipe brings back such sweet memories for me, of the times I got to just sit and talk to her.  Those times became even more precious to me because she didn't live long enough to welcome me back home.

You can see it is not a precisely measured recipe. This is exactly what she told me to do...

Wash rhubarb stems and cut into small pieces.  Measure water to cover rhubarb.  If I remember correctly, she used about a 4 or 5 qt pot.  (Don't fill it all the way with rhubarb.  I think they did it about 2/3 full.  Even after it was all cooked, there was a couple inches of room on top)  Add stick cinnamon and a slice each of lemon and orange.  Bring to a boil and turn off heat.  For each quart of liquid add 1to 11/2 cup sugar (you can also add more at the end if it isn't sweet enough), and for each 6 cups of liquid add 1 cup tapioca (I think instant...)  Let sit for 5 minutes and bring to a boil stirring constantly (it sticks and burns if you don't).  Remove from heat and put a lid on the pan.  Serve warm or cold(I like it cold) with heavy cream poured over it.(I am embarrassed to admit, I am pretty generous with the cream too :)  Yes, not diet friendly, but DEEEELICIOUS!  I guess its a good thing I don't ever make it!
Just a note:  so much of this recipe is to taste.  If you like cinnamon, add more cinnamon stick, if you like lemon...same....Some people like it more tangy (It will by tangy, believe me) some more sweet.  If you want it thicker, add more tapioca, etc...

By the way, anyone trying to get rid of rhubarb can send it my way!  I never know where to get it :).

No comments:

Post a Comment