Saturday, February 13, 2010

Crock pot roast

I am only including my general way of making a roast.  I do it at least somewhat different each time.  Here are my constants.

I usually use about a 3-4 lb roast.  My grandpa told me that to make a good roast, you have to completely coat the outside of it with salt.  So that is what I do.  I pour a little oil in a skillet and set it on a med high heat.  Then I pour salt over the whole surface of the roast.  I use my big salt container and let it fall all around, then I spread the salt and rub it onto the sides with my hand.  I throw it on the oil (make sure the oil is not too hot) and sear all sides to seal in the juices and richen the flavor.  Once it is in the crock pot my only constant is garlic.  I like fresh garlic best: I press 5-8 cloves onto it.  If I am feeling lazy, I just shake a LOT of dehydrated minced garlic all over it (I'm sure garlic powder would be fine too).  Other that that I use a number of different things.  Again, my favorite is to use two gravy packets, either brown or mushroom, but I have even used a chicken gravy packet in an emergency.  I have also used a packet of onion soup instead, or 4-6 beef bouillion cubes.  If my roast is larger, I just add a little more stuff.  I heat it 6-8 hours on high, or 12 or more on low.  I have put a large roast in the crock pot late on a Saturday night and then eaten it after 11 o' clock church(2pm) and it was good.  I do like it falling apart though.  I know you aren't supposed to take the lid off at all, but I usually turn it at least once during cooking so it stews in the juices.  Also, toward the end, I often check to make sure it is not getting too done.

After it's cooked, I pull it out onto a plate and cover it with foil.  I take all of the juices and strain them into a pan.  Add a little water and thicken for gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment