Saturday, February 13, 2010

Broccoli cheese soup

This is my new favorite soup!  I love it and its easy to make.  I have used two methods, I will list both.

3 lbs of broccoli (I just use the 3 lb bag of costco broccoli crowns usually)
1 square butter
1 onion (or 2, I love onion!)
1 cup flour, or half cup corn starch
2 lbs of Velveeta cheese
milk
Salt and pepper to taste.

#1  Steam broccoli till it is falling apart.  In separate large pan melt butter and saute onion.  Add 1 cup flour and stir till smooth.  Slowly add milk and whisk till it boils.(About 7 cups)  You can salt and pepper to taste while it is heating.   After it thickens, you can add your broccoli and cheese.  When the cheese is melted, it is ready to serve.

#2  Easy one pot method.  Melt butter in pan and saute onions.  Pour a cup or two of water in and dump in your broccoli.  Cover and steam till it is totally falling apart.  I just leave in the water and add less milk, about 5 cups.  Heat till near boiling stirring constantly.  Then make a slurry with a cup of milk and 1/2 cup of cornstarch.  I like cornstarch, because it seems less lumpy than flour when added this way.  Slowly pour into hot mixture while still stirring briskly and let it thicken and boil for a minute.   When it is thick, add your cheese.  It is ready to serve after it melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment