Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Authentic Louisiana Red Beans and Rice

This was one of my favorite things I tried in the south.  This recipe took me back... YUMMM!  We didn't even put the sausage in (we are poor and cheap)  and it still tasted great!

INGREDIENTS
1 pound dry kidney beans
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 cups water
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (I use tony chacherie's.  I love it!)
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
4 cups water
2 cups long grain white rice

DIRECTIONS
Rinse beans, and then soak in a large pot of water overnight.
In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery in olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes.
Rinse beans, and transfer to a large pot with 6 cups water. Stir cooked vegetables into beans. Season with bay leaves, cayenne pepper, thyme, sage, parsley, and Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
Stir sausage into beans, and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the rice. In a saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve beans over steamed white rice.

I made this in the crock pot.  I cooked the vegetables like it says and soaked the beans, then I dumped it all in the crock.  I also cut the water, (I think in half? but you will have to watch it, the beans need to be covered to cook).  I also can't remember how long I cooked it, but I think it was about 5 hours on high...maybe a little more.  The key is to MAKE SURE the beans are done.  They have to have a creamy consistency.  Don't give up and think they won't ever get there, they will eventually lose that sandy crumbly consistency.  Also, this dish will need salt, but don't add it till the end after the beans are done.  I like it even without meat, but we have added a little ham before.  I'm sure it would be great with the sausage, but probably less healthy :).  Also, don't forget to pull out the bay leaves at the end.  Bay leaves are absolutely necessary in this recipe, they really effect the flavor.  If they are small, I have added more than two even.  But be careful, I did add too much once.  You can also use "small red beans", lots of people like them better, I guess they are more authentic.  I like kidney beans better.

No comments:

Post a Comment