Thursday, February 11, 2010

Grandma Brown's Barbecued Spare Ribs

This is not your typical sweet barbecue sauce.  When I was a kid, this was the only bbq sauce I even liked!  It has a very different, but AMAZING flavor.

1st I will list her original recipe, then I will write how I make them for my convenience :)

2 lbs boneless country style pork ribs
1 onion, sliced
1 lemon, sliced
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup worcestershire
2 cups water (1 cup if using crock pot method)
1 tbsp salt (I use half or less than this much salt)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 shake of hot sauce (frank's etc.)

Slice onion and lemon over ribs.  Bake uncovered for 45 minutes at 450.  Make sauce with rest of ingredients.  Pour over and bake at 350 one hour, basting often.

My method...
I love the crock pot for meat so I changed this recipe slightly.  I also have used chicken breasts interchangeably with the pork and they are AMAZING and I assume lower fat.  First, I brown the meat, onions and lemons on the stove.  (The meat doesn't need to be fully cooked, just brown on the outside, I usually use med-med high heat)  I Place the meat in a skillet with just a little oil and then pour the onions and lemon slices over the top,  squeezing as much lemon juice as I can over the meat.  I brown the meat and then if necessary, I brown the onions after. (it's usually not since they fall all over and get brown with the meat.  And I usually have to fill the skillet more than once with meat.)  While the meat is cooking, I dump the sauce ingredients in the crock pot with ONE IMPORTANT CHANGE:  Make sure you cut the water to one cup.  Double the sauce recipe if necessary to cover your meat.  If you do not cut the water, they will not be flavorful enough when cooked.  Turn on the pot to start heating while you mix the ingredients together.  Then when the meat is cooked, place in crock pot.  One more important tip.  Pull most of the lemon slices out after browning and discard them.  One or two are okay, but you will be sorry if you leave more than that.  The sauce gets way too lemony.  After discarding the lemons, dump the rest of that yummy carmelized onion into the crock pot.  Put the lid on and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for double that.  We usually serve them with funeral potatoes or mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment