Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ham Pocket

I had this one when I was a teenager.  My grandmother made these for her school kids.  I LOVED it.

3 lbs bread dough I either use rhodes or ask my local bakery for french bread dough, but any kind works.
1 lb ham
1 lb cheese any kind
My favorite combinations are white bread with half pepper jack half provolone or mozzarella, and wheat bread with cheddar

Roll out 1/2 of dough and place on the bottom of a cookie sheet.  Place ham and cheese (I think it works best to do two layers: ham,cheese, ham, cheese), and then roll out the other half and place on top.  Grandma rolls it big enough to go over the edge of the pan and then she rolls her rolling pin over the edge to seal the dough.  If you want more of a decorative look you can roll the bottom layer of dough over the top layer and then pinch them together kind of like a pie crust. Cut a few slits across the top of the dough so air can escape and let raise a few minutes while you preheat the oven. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes to an hour or till golden brown. (optional: spread a little egg white over the top with a pastry brush before baking and it will turn out shiny and pretty.)

No comments:

Post a Comment