Sunday, October 30, 2011

German Chocolate cake mix cookies and a quicker version, German Chocolate Brownies

My grandma made german chocolate cookies when I was a teenager and I LOVED them.  The recipe died with her, but the cravings never did!  Several months ago I was determined to find the recipe so we could enjoy them again.  And thanks to the miracle of the internet, and particularly in this case to allrecipes, I think I have.  Try these, you will not be sorry!  I usually triple the batch so I can use even cans of evaporated milk.  Not to mention the fact that they go fast!  I have listed the recipe with these ratios.  It makes about 6-8 dozen cookies.

German Chocolate Cookies
Ingredients
Topping:
3 cup white sugar
2 cans evaporated milk
3 squares butter
3 teaspoon vanilla extract
9 egg yolks, beaten
4 1/2 cups flaked coconut
4 1/2 cups chopped pecans
Cookie:
3 (18.25 ounce) packages German chocolate cake mix
1 cup butter, melted

In my opinion it works best to make the topping in advance.  Combine sugar, milk, butter, and egg yolks in a pan on the stove and blend them well.  Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly.  Make sure you are stirring constantly.  It doesn't have to be a fast stir, just a slow methodical movement making sure you are hitting all parts of the bottom of the pan regularly so it doesn't cook on to the pan.  It usually takes 15 to 20 minutes for this big of a batch.  After it thickens, remove from heat and add coconut and pecans.  Then get it cold in the fridge.  These cookies spread a little when cooked, even in the best of circumstances.  In my experience, they work best when cold.  So I either make sure my topping is really cold, or I put the dough in the fridge to get it cold before making the cookies.  In fact, I try to keep it in the fridge between batches.
Here goes...  Combine cake mix, either soft or melted butter, and 6 cups of your topping.  I use my cookie scoop to shape my cookies.  Then, I use a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon to make a well in the center of each cookie.  Of course if you don't mind getting messy, thumbs work great for this purpose :).  Fill well with approximately a teaspoon remaining of filling, it will stick up over the cookie.
Bake at 350 for 10-13 minutes.  Allow to cool on cookie sheet for a couple minutes to set up and then move to a cooling rack.  Make sure not to overbake.  I usually pull these out just BARELY before they look done. and they finish cooking while setting up on the pan. If you're not real familiar with cookie baking, that is when they are still puffed up, and before they start to fall.  It might take a few batches to learn what point they are about to fall.  If you pull out a little too early, just leave them on the pan a little longer and they will keep cooking.  They are SO chewy and good.  They are even chewier the next day if you store them in a sealed container.

Here's a bonus short cut german chocolate brownie recipe too!  I hope it is accurate...I made them months ago and forgot to write it down at the time.
I was in a big hurry to make something for a relief society gathering I had forgotten about.  I didn't have time to do the cookies, but I whipped up a half batch of the frosting (using one can of evaporated milk) and used two large size brownie mixes (9 by 13 size) made per directions on the box, and poured in a cookie sheet.  I think I left just a little bit of the batter in the bowl for fear that it would overflow, but not much.  I poured the warm topping over the brownie batter and baked at 350.  I was afraid they would overflow the pan, but they didn't.  They did, however take longer than I planned on to cook.  Right now I can't remember for sure how long but I think it was more than half an hour (30-40?).  By the time they were done, the topping was a little brown, but they still tasted really good.  I like the cookies best, but lots of people loved the brownies and asked for the recipe, and they are much less work.

A word for the wise, do not, I repeat, DO NOT try the frosting by itself.  If you do, you might not want to leave any to fill your cookies with!  It is delicious! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment