Thursday, August 12, 2010

Granola Recipes

My mom made the best homemade granola when I was a kid.  I just ran across the recipe.  I was craving that granola a couple years ago and found one that sounded like it.  Since I enjoyed that recipe I am also including it.  I was unaware I had her recipe in my possession!

Here is her recipe.

Granola

7 cups oatmeal
1 cup sesame seeds ( I think she used sunflower seeds though, I'll have to ask her and update this)
2 cups coconut
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup oil
1 cup honey or brown sugar ( or a mix of both, so neither overpower?)
1 cup soy flour
grated lemon peel
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
raisins*

Mix all ingredients and bake on a cookie sheet at 200 for 2 hours stirring periodically.

Granola recipe I found.

8 cups rolled oats

1 1/2 cups wheat germ ( I used wheat bran...I don't know the difference)
1 1/2 cups oat bran
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup finely chopped almonds
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 heaping cup shredded coconut
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup honey
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups raisins or sweetened dried cranberries*

DIRECTIONS:


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment or aluminum foil.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, oat bran, sunflower seeds, almonds, and pecans. In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the salt, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, oil, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil then remove from heat and add vanilla.  Pour over the dry ingredients and stir to coat. Spread the mixture out evenly on the baking sheets.

Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until toasted. Stir once about halfway through. Cool, then stir in the raisins or cranberries before storing in an airtight container.



*Just a little note, I didn't add raisins or cranberries because I am not fond of them.  I just assumed everyone else likes them.  I might add costco's dried blueberries next time...I LOVE those!

No comments:

Post a Comment