Sunday, September 9, 2012

Chicken Veggie Burritos (Healthy Southwestern Egg Rolls)

This recipe originated from Todd Wilbur's version of Chili's Southwestern Egg rolls that he had made over to make them more healthy.  See my Ode to Todd Wilbur for more information about him.  I have adjusted it both so I can make enough to freeze and so that it is easier and has less waste.  (His calls for 2 Tbsp of red pepper, etc...)

Here is my recipe:
3 large chicken breasts (Between 1-2 lbs chicken, you can use more, I just like to save money and minimize meat)
1 large red bell pepper
1 full bunch minced green onion (about 1 cup)
2 cups frozen corn
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach thawed and drained, or 10 oz of frozen spinach (it looks like a LOT, but it cooks down)
3 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp cumin
1tbsp chili powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
3 dashes of cayenne pepper
¾ pound pepper jack


You can cook the chicken any way you like, but it is best grilled.  He advises oiling them, then add salt and pepper and grill.  But I have boiled it, and I've browned it on a frying pan too.
After your chicken is cooked you can put it all together.  First cook your onion and peppers in a little oil in your pot for a few minutes (till soft) Then add everything else but the cheese and cook while mixing it all together.  (I have a pampered chef chopping tool that is PERFECT for this.  I think it's called a "mix and chop" but it has an asterisk shaped bottom, and you can chop your spinach and chicken up while mixing it all together with it.  I LOVE it.  When it is all heated through, and the liquid is gone, you can add your cheese.  Then it is ready to fill the burritos. 
Todd gives a great way to heat the tortillas.  You barely dampen a towel (I like to use a flour sack towel) and lay it on a microwave safe plate.  He advises five at a time, but I put 10.  So you lay your tortillas on the plate and wrap the towel around them and microwave for about a minute till they are soft and pliable.  This keeps them from getting dry and tough.  But warming them prevents them from tearing when you fold them.  I usually use a cookie scoop to portion out my filling.  You don't need very much.  My cookie scoop is one ounce, and when I use a regular taco sized tortilla I use two scoops scraped flat on the side of the bowl.  For larger ones I usually use three.  I scoop it on and then spread it in a long thin line about 2 inches from the edge of the line.  Then I fold down my ends, and roll my tortillas into a long round burrito.  I took some photos of this, but they are on my storage hard drive which is unavailable to me at the moment.  I'll post them when I get it back ;).
There are several options to cook them.  You can deep fry them, or fry them on a pan with oil, or for his low fat version, TW advises covering them with cooking spray and baking them.  I did this at first, but I didn't like putting all those chemicals on our food, so then I would baste them with oil, but I like them just as well without the extra oil so I cook them like frozen burritos, (350 degrees for about 25-30 min)  or even better I use my panini pan (Thanks to my mother in law who bought it for me, I LOVE it). I grill them till they are brown on all sides (be careful to use a low enough heat that they heat in the middle by the time they are brown) I've also used a plug in griddle pan too.  I don't even use oil and they get nice looking grill marks on them.
You can dip in ranch, or make his avocado ranch listed here, or the cilantro ranch I've seen posted online (google it)  I've had it and liked it, but I don't know which one so I don't want to post it.  We just use low fat sour cream most of the time.  (Once I mixed sour cream with a little bbq sauce and I liked that too)

I am really particular about my kitchen gadgets...(yes pampered chef lady I said it again! GADGETS! Boring back story:  I got scolded at a pampered chef party for using that term instead of tools. It was embarrassing, and I was a little irritated that they feel the need to specify that they are tools to somehow give them more legitimacy.  So now it is my personal vendetta to keep using whatever term I want!  Yes, I am vindictive like that!)  But my favorite cookie scoops are the ones with a solid plastic handle and a thumb lever instead of the metal handle that you squeeze together to release your batter.  I like to use cold cookie batter, and I broke two pampered chef ones before I went on a quest to find one like my mom's.  I got mine from a local restaurant supply here in Utah call Orson Gigi.  This is a link for their scoops  Mine is the purple one (#40,.89 oz).  Last time I was there, they were a couple bucks cheaper in store.

In case you wondered what panini pan I have, this is it.  I use it almost every day.  It replaces my regular plug in griddle, because the plates are flat on one side and have the grill lines on the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment