Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dad's Chili

This is just a guideline, because my dad never makes the same chili twice.  He just dumps a bunch of stuff in that looks good at the moment and usually adds a number of different meats.  But he has won countless chili cook offs so I attempted to get some of his constants :).

This makes a BIG pot of chili.  I doubled it and it filled my big electric roaster pan 2/3 or more.  Worked great for a big family gathering (when Kayleigh was blessed?).

5 Tbsp Chili powder
3 Tbsp cumin?  (I didn't have it written, but I am positive I added this.  And almost positive on the amount.)
2 BIG cans tomato sauce (equals about 8 small cans)
2 BIG cans enchilada sauce ( I use the green Mikayo sauce they sell at walmart) It's about a 30 oz can.  My dad has used any number of kinds.
I use 1 to 2 lbs stew meat.
3 lbs dry beans (I use one each of black, pinto, and kidney)
1/2 of a big can of green chilies. (I used hatch whole chilies)  Its again about a 30 oz can. So about 4 little cans if you rather.
1 Tbsp dried minced garlic
1 Tbsp oregano
2 large onions chopped
1/2-1 lb breakfast sausage (sounds weird I know, I REALLY didn't want to add it the first time, but its good)
Dad adds mace, I didn't have that so I added a little masa harina (1/4 cup).  He said mace tastes like corn meal, so I figured that was an okay substitute...
Dad also said he would have added an entire bottle of green tabasco, but I didn't have that either :).

One other note about the meat, my dad is a carnivore and would add more than I did for sure.  One time when I was down in NV for one of his chili cookoffs, he put hamburger, shredded pork, steak, sausage, and possibly something else...I'm not sure, all in the same pot of chili.  Jay LOVED it.  I don't know if this even lives up to that chili for him (probably because it doesn't have five kinds of meat!) but I love it.

So of course your first step is to soak and cook the beans.  It is very important that you get them fully cooked BEFORE adding to the chili.  See my bean method for my long rambling how to about dry beans :).  While the beans cook you can make the base.  Brown meat and onions in a huge pot, then add the rest of your ingredients and let it stew for a while.  Add your beans and simmer a little longer to mix flavors.  You will want to stir occasionally to make sure it doesn't stick.  If it is getting too thick too early and sticking, just add some water.  It seems like with all of these kind of recipes they are even better the next day because all of the flavors "develop", but I am never prepared enough to do it that early :).  Dad, any comments to improve or correct would be welcome.  It is your chili recipe after all!   I froze the leftovers in two cup portions just like I do my beans.  Again, see bean method for my longer instructions.  Tasted great for months after!  I like to serve it with corn bread or over baked potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment